Friday, October 3, 2008

Big Band Swing on Pandora

I have a new toy: Pandora Radio. Finally I can create a radio station that plays Baroque Choral, Big Band Swing, Billy Joel, The Beatles, among others. Right now I'm listening to Side by Side sung by Anita O'Day.

Sometimes I think I was born at the wrong time--I love this music. But I love working on computers too much to have been born during the Big Band era. Actually this is the music of my parents. Both of them drew up during the depression and came of age in the 40's. Maybe it was something passed on through the genes or through the songs they hummed to me.

The other thing I've found is that this is great music by which to write code. Something about listening to the winds and writing Java just fits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris

What are your big band favorites?

Mine are Sinatra and almost anything else arranged by Nelson Riddle.

I think they should they should have just closed up the genre when those 2 passed.

I need to check out Pandora a little more.

Cheers.

Matt Kern

Chris said...

I love Sinatra and Riddle. Sing, sing, sing has to be one of my all time favorites. I'm still kind of "exploring the space", so if you have other specific songs/artists let me know. Other than just hearing songs from my parents, I also found my way into this sound via Frank Loesser.

Pandora has been great. I'm not one for subscribing to the paid service, but the ads on the free service are not bad and there are links from the sings to Amazon and iTunes.

Later,
Chris