Saturday, January 6, 2007

Wisdom is Glorious

I'm starting to take a look at some compositions I've written a while back. One of them is Wisdom is Glorious from 1994. This is based on the following text from the Wisdom of Solomon in the Apocrypha:

Chapter 6: 12-15

Wisdom is glorious,
and never fadeth away:
yea, she is easily seen of them that love her,
and found of such as seek her.

She preventeth them that desire her,
in making herself first known unto them.

Whoso seeketh her early shall have no great travail:
for he shall find her sitting at his doors.

To think therefore upon her is perfection of wisdom:

and whoso watcheth for her shall quickly be without care.

This translation is from the Non-canonical Books of the Bible of the King James Version.

It was written for soprano and organ. I'm not very happy with the way I set the text of the piece. I really did not understand much about scansion when I wrote this. I think it is a pity that during my compositional education I never had a class in that. It wasn't until much later that I was able to take a workshop (via the Nautilus Music-Theater with Ben Krywosz and Tom Linker) where such useful knowledge finally found a home in this thick skull of mine.

What I do like about this piece is that I was able to write a dance-like rhythm using asymmetrical rhythms. (Bartok was a down right revelation when I first heard such music in college.) I want to explore that a bit more and then release it to the web.

No comments: