Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alleluia, version 1

Alleluia

It feels right that I'm working on a piece of music with this title on a Sunday morning. I am a Cradle Catholic. As I get older I find I am exploring outward from that base in a way that I can best describe as Freelance Monotheism (to borrow a phrase from Karen Armstrong). My religious experiences and musical experiences are tied. And when I experience music that is transcendent the word that comes to mind is Alleluia.



The mixing of music and religion is not a new idea. I do not expect that if someone enjoys music I write that they have a religious experience. (I may hope, but I don't expect.) When I let ego go (which in my understanding seems to be the truest root of most religions), what is left is a desire to find communication, or using a great "Catholic" phrase: Communion, with God.

With this piece I want to take a journey. It was originally written for piano and quartet or small choir. The mp3 realization I've done here is very straight forward. What I want to do next is work on orchestrating it. As such I will be publishing a number of versions of it to this blog (intermixed with other music as well). I want to work on my technique of orchestrating for electronica orchestral soundscapes (EOS?)

So here it is: Alleluia, version 1.

[ Link ] to Alleluia, version 1.

No comments: