Sunday, September 21, 2008

Music and the Geek: MP3 tag command line editor

This morning my inner geek has gotten the best of me. I want to upload a new mp3 file to The Note Head, but I need to edit the mp3 tags first. I hate using the GUI for this because I want the tags to be consistent. When I type them in myself I am way too prone to making a mistake.

So I'm searching Sourceforge for a good mp3 tag editor. I want to be able to script the set up of these tags. I found something called lfid3, but is also requires a library called id3lib. So I'm working through the magic of doing the build on cygwin.

None of this has much to do with music except for the end result. Still I find it fun to work through the technical issues of doing this.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Follow on: Well the lfid3 package didn't work on cygwin. But the id3lib comes with a bunch of commands (id3convert, id3cp, id3info, and id3tag) that basically do what I need to do anyway.